Thursday, September 7, 2017

Paathshaala

                                                                                                           Ankur Bora


Nagaon uchch maadhyamik vidyalaya is one of the oldest schools in Assam established on November 17th in the year 1865 by the then British Government. It was from here that fondest memories of my school and my teachers began to take shape. It was 1980 and I was admitted to grade five. Our classroom was situated in a plain thatched house separate from the main building. There was a huge banyan tree and in a clear day, we would go out and stand under the grand old tree reciting loud the Morning Prayer. Some of my teachers were phenomenal – they played a vital role enriching our nascent mind into the vista of science, chasm of geography, axioms of geometry and the mosaic of the world literature. They taught us discipline, punctuality, neatness, hard work – qualities which still sustain many of us.
Late Rohit Chandra Bezbaruah 

Rohit Chandra Bezbaruah was my first teacher, a multifaceted man whom we respected a great deal. In those days, we didn’t have enough teachers. Some of the teachers taught multiple subjects and moved from one class to another without rest during the whole day. I recall, Bezbaruah sir, working himself to the bone to ensure that all the subjects in the curriculum were covered. He had magic in his words and held us spellbound. He made even arid subject like history absolutely scintillating. His voice boomed during history lessons as he regaled us with the stories of the great freedom fighters of India. Some of us became eloquent with a good command and knowledge of these subjects and later won many prizes during interschool debates and quiz competitions.

Bezbaruah sir made great sacrifice which we came to know much later. Every day morning, he would ride his bicycle from his village to our town, attend the school and return back home. Throughout the long period, he waded through flooded road in the rainy season and endured the scorching heat in summer to implant knowledge in us. Of all the life lessons that Sir taught me, I remember the one that shaped my life the most – One day we were taken to the banyan tree as Bezbaruah narrated the story of Arjuna.  “Son, what all do you see?” – While everyone else failed, Arjuna stated without hesitation, “I see the eye of the fish.” It is a simple parable that revels profound truth, our sir explained, “Look only at the eye of the fish, each time, every time”    
Late Pranab Barua 

Kallol Chritrangana, the only art school in our town, ushered me into a new world made wonderful and enthralling by its founder Pranab Baruah. Barua sir was a teacher, not so much in what he taught, but in how he lived his life and looked at the world. The image that shaped me most as an ardent art lover was the memory of Pranab Barua in his studio. The studio at his house, a paradise like abode by Kolong paar, had been a constant source of curiosity for me. I recall, every other day after school, I would go to watch as he with pencils and then with touch of brushes created those magical portraits.  Barua sir taught us never to be afraid to do something different, have courage and follow our heart.
Late Madhab Chandra Bora 
Jorhat Engineering College, Computer Science department was established in the year 1987 under the guidance of Dr. Madhab Chandra Bora and we were the second batch of Engineering. I loved computer and the prospects of Information Technology was alluring. However, after admission I realized that the department was in a primitive stage, there were few teachers, computers were scarce, even the basic textbooks were not available. I thought I was stuck. It was Bora sir who stood tall before us and inspired the much needed confidence in us. One day he asked the questions that still seem to me so simple and profound. “What is it you love?” he asked. And then, “Where is the most adventurous place you could do it?”  It was a moment of awakening, a lightbulb that revealed a truth that stayed with me for a lifetime; I eventually, got through that place, indeed, the most adventurous in the planet.
Microsoft, Redmond, United States:  It had been a grueling interview lasting several rounds and I was specially flown to the Microsoft headquarter for the final. I was greeted by the head of the interview panel, a senior manager of Japanese origin who ushered me to his office. I was making satisfactory progress until I encountered the question, “Why should Microsoft hire you?” I was startled by the fiery energy of the query as if the hiring decision would be made on my response. It was at this juncture that I remembered the little story of Arjuna and the Fish Eye. “My teacher taught me attention, dedication, determination” I began to answer with equal intensity. The panel members nodded approvingly, the Japanese manager thanked me for the simple wisdom I had shared, as if a lesson from one ancient culture had struck a deeply resonant chord with a person from another ancient culture.
As I began driving back home triumphant, my heart filled with the joyous sound and the brave words of Bezbaruah sir - Look only at the eye of the fish, each time, every time. The vast, deep and blue sky seemed to nod in unison - to the life lesson at my paathshaala.
                                                                                                            ankurbora@hotmail.com


5 comments:

  1. Thank you sir, for sharing such nice experience. It really enthralled me.

    Bikramjit Choudhury
    Assistant Professor
    Department of IT
    Central Institute of Technology Kokrajhar

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the wondeful write up. Yes I can connect to this article, I know all the teacher you have mentioned and Mr. Bezbaruah sir was my teacher too .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very heartfelt story. The thread of the story from rural Assam to US woven with simplicity and integrity is firmly grounded.

    ReplyDelete